Friday, February 15, 2013

Valentines Day at the Red Location Backpacker

Yesterday is by far the most interesting Valentines Day I've ever had.  As I mentioned yesterday, 200 International Students and myself spent the evening at the Red Location Backpacker I have talked about in previous posts.  The mamas served us beverages while we had kind of a social hour with live, native music, and then we had a Braii (Barbecue), with chicken, pork chops, sausage, noodle salad and homemade bread.  Everything was really good!  We then listened to live music by a teen group that is from here in Port Elizabeth, and then we watched a native dance and singing group.  Very interesting and a very cool experience!
As nervous as I was to return to the townships, I think the more Im there the better understanding I seem to have and I get a bit more comfortable with my surroundings.  When all of us pulled up in the big bus to the backpacker last night, we could see the children from the township just pouring down this hill, running to come and greet us.  Its odd to have so many children absolutely adore your attention, even when they know nothing about you.  One little boy ran right up to me, jumped in my arms and gave me the biggest smile.  When I asked him how he was, It quickly became clear he didnt speak English.  Unfortunately, most of this kids dont.  One of the mamas mentioned to me, "I wish I could teach them how to speak."  Its difficult to see the lack of education in what seem to be such bright, interested, fun kids.
Overall, my experience in the township was very different than my first time, and Im still so curious about going back again and again.  I am excited to start volunteering in the townships and make relationships with people who have such a different life and culture than my own.  Its defiantly a different world, but its an absolutely fascinating one.

No comments:

Post a Comment