Thursday, February 14, 2013

Not the Average Valentines Day..

It strikes me more and more how much my life has changed since I left the U.S.  Usually, I would spend my Valentines Day, going out to dinner, or in school, and for the most part, its an average day for me, but this Valentines Day will be different.  Us International Students have been invited to spend Valentines Day in one of Port Elizabeth's townships, where we visited last Saturday, at the backpacker.  We will have a Braii, (kind of like what we would call a barbecue in America) live entertainment (which I have a feeling will be very traditional South African Xhosa, which makes me excited) and of course, we will get to visit with the mamas who run the backpacker and the townspeople.
Honestly, after first seeing the townships, I was shocked, overwhelmed, sad, emotional and really didnt know how to recover from it.  Since, I still feel the same, but I am curious about these peoples lives, and their culture and how they see the world.  I am trying so very hard to overlook the poverty they live in to really get a sense of who they are, but its so, so so hard to not be overwhelmed.  I am anxious to go back tonight, but at the same time, curious and hopeful that I will learn more.  I think it will be very interesting, and Im sure there will be more to write about tomorrow on this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment