Monday, February 18, 2013

SCSU has squirrels, NMMU has Vervet Monkeys!

Just as I sat down to work on my last post, I bought a muffin for breakfast, and sat down outside at a table on the NMMU (Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University) campus.  I no more than get one sentence and one bite into my muffin, and a monkey jumps onto my table and is clearly interested in my food.  I was terrified!  We have been told and warned by signs all over campus that the monkeys are NOT tame, that they can be aggressive and that we shouldn't look them in the eye because that intimidates them and they could attack.  So, although I was extremely alarmed, and wanted to look surprised and scared all I could do was look away and hope to God this monkey didn't attack me for my food.  It sat right in front of me, attempting to grab for my muffin for a few minutes, and then moved off a bit to watch me from a distance, hoping I would set my muffin down.  If I did, even for a second, he was ready!  I held my muffin tight, while everyone at the surrounding tables is laughing, because it is clear that not only am I not from South Africa, but Im also not used to monkeys attempting to steal my breakfast.  One guy at a nearby table told me "This is Africa honey, they're not tame!  You better eat that muffin like its your last meal!"  I have never eaten a muffin, or anything, faster in my life and I have to say, I dont know that I love the monkeys.  Next time I think I will eat my breakfast, or any meal, indoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment