Monday, February 4, 2013

Tsitsikamma Falls/Weekend Orientation

Yesterday, the international students and myself returned from a weekend orientation at a place west of Port Elizabeth, where I am living, called Tsitsikamma.  It literally was some of the most amazing scenery I have EVER seen in my life.  There were mountains, waterfalls, rivers, and tons of wildlife to see.  We stayed at kind of a "lodge" type thing, and shared rooms with whoever we wanted to, whenever we met them.  I met so many people I didnt even know how to keep it all in order.  There were people from France, Germany, the Netherlands and Austria.  I was great and fascinating to get to know so many people.

While there, we were able to go hiking, zip lining, swimming, and just hang out.  I got EXTREMELY sun burnt.  Fun fact:  the pollution we create in the United States in Europe dosent affect us, but it affect Africa and depleats the ozone here, so literally, five minutes in the sun and your baked.  Its not even appealing to be in the sun sometimes unless you cake on the sunscreen, because I have never felt the sun so hot on my skin.  I will have pictures of Tsitsikamma up hopefully tomorrow, because it was something straight out of a movie. We were swimming in waterfalls, and this tropical, amazing environment that was peaceful and untouched.  AMAZING is the only way I can describe it!  It was an experience that honestly changed my life because it was simply so beautiful and different.

Lastly, I wanted to mention how nice it is to get to know other international students.  Its hard to describe, but it feels like there is no judgement.  Everyone is outgoing because they are all in the same boat as you.  They are away from home, in a new, strange place, and they want to make friends.  They dont care what you look like, or what your wearing, or where you come from.  They just want  to talk to you.  We sat around in circles for HOURS just talking about our home countries, telling stories and comparing our cultures, and every one was enjoying themselves.  I have learned more about the world in two days at weekend orientation than I ever have, or ever will, (I think) in a classroom, simply because I sat and talked with people who have different views, culture and backgrounds than I do.  I hope everyone, at some point in their life, gets to experience that.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a pretty beautiful place Renee. Can't wait to see the pictures and glad you're having so an amazing time so far.

    The sun intensity thing was always weird to me because it could be 80 degrees in Mexico and 80 degrees in Minnesota but Mexico feels so much more intense. Maybe it's because of the ozone like you said or maybe something else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. what are you missing most so far?

    ReplyDelete
  3. DOBL. Would that be David O' Brian Liedl by chance? haha I dont know who DOBL is but thats my guess haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diana- um, so far I am missing the organization of the U.S. Nothing here is organized, everything takes forever..and sometimes its nice, because its nice not to have SO much technology..but other times its just like so unorganized that I cant handle it. Getting my student I.D Card took three hours.

    ReplyDelete