Thursday, February 21, 2013

Differences between S. Africa and America

There are so many differences between South Africa and The United States, that its hard to know where to begin!
First, the one that is most blatant to me are the social and political issues like racism and poverty.  I cannot even count how many times I have talked to people here who show me just how raw racism is here.  I guess thats somewhat expected, since the Apartheid only ended here thirty years ago, but there are so many people who still cannot seem to see past skin color.  The other night, at a local bar, a friend and I were visiting with some P.E locals, who happened to be Afrikaans (meaning of white, Dutch origin), and they asked us if white and black dating or marriage in the United States was thought to be "okay."  We told them that it was, and that to us, it made no difference, because skin color shouldn't dictate who you love, and who you legally marry.  They however, told us that it does matter.  They believe that, based on their christian religion, it is wrong for black and white to marry.  They compared it to "A Rhino marrying an Elephant."  I could not believe my ears.  To them, it is not only socially unacceptable, but morally wrong.  They went on to say that they felt none of that was racist.  I nearly laughed when they said that.  It was one of the most rediculious, racist comments I had ever heard!  At the same bar, one of the bar-tenders told me that he had a live in maid that did his dishes, laundry and cleaned his whole house.  He also mentioned his maid was colored.  When I asked him if that was strange, or if he felt bad, he shrugged and said no, that it was normal and when I asked why that was normal he said that "if I knew the history of this country, I would understand that it is widely accepted."  Well, unfortunately for him, I do know the history of this country, and its not supposed to be accepted.  Unfortunately, that is not the only time OR the last time I will hear comments like that and although the United States has its fair share of social and racial issues, its still hard to see and hear comments like that.  South Africa has moved past the Apartheid, but race is still a huge issue.  I think that there will be a movement in the future, kind of like what the Civil Rights Movement was in the United States.
As for poverty, it is also blatant.  On one side of the street you see wealthy houses with nice cars and on the other its completely the opposite.  Poverty becomes overwhelming when you reach the townships that are on the outskirts of P.E and most larger cities in South Africa.  Its a completely surreal and strange out of body experience being in the townships, and its something you would never find in America.
Second, time.  Everything here is slower and less organized.  Like I posted about before, everything here is a process.  Things are simpler here.  Internet is slower and not as common, cell phones are mostly pre-paid, in most classrooms there are still chalk boards instead of white boards or "smart boards."  Simply put, technology just hasn't taken complete hold here like it has in the United States.
Third, FOOD/COFFEE.  To my greatest disappointment, there is no such thing here as "iced coffee."  In the U.S, Iced coffee was one of my favorite things.  Here, iced coffee is basically a milkshake with coffee flavoring in it.  Not the same and more calories!  The other day at a cafe, I ordered an "iced coffee" and when I got my coffee hot, I asked why, and the girl said, "thats what you ordered."  Um, what?  She says: "You wanted an iced coffee.  Thats a hot mocha and we put an ice cube in it."  Alright.  Fail.  Food is also a struggle.  Milk spoils too fast to be worth buying.  Bread is extremely grainy, so I dont really buy that either.  Ketchup, mustard barbecue sauce, ranch and a lot of other condiments taste different, in a bad way here too, so I have kind of stopped buying or asking for that at restaurants.
Fourth, driving.  There are traffic laws here, but lets be honest, no one follows them.  No one cares, because there are few policemen out on the roads and if there are, you can simply pay them off with a couple hundred Rand (thirty-forty dollars U.S $$).  People here pass on hills, they go 100mph, they honk for no reason, they yell out the window, they pass on whatever side of the road they want, they blow stop signs, etc, etc.  Driving here is defiantly an experience.
Fifth. Weather.  It is SO WINDY HERE.  We were told Port Elizabeth is the "windy city" of South Africa, but that was the understatement of the century.  The wind is so strong some nights that I cant even sleep, or if I do sleep, it wakes me up multiple times in the night.  Sometimes, the wind is good, because it keeps you cooler during the crazy hot days, but other times, when it tears you to pieces at the beach, or keeps you up at night its not so nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment