Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Dont Let the Bed Bugs Bite....LITERALLY.

The highest bungy jump in the world!
Sarah & Anna before their jump!
Brave Souls!


This past weekend, A few girls and I decided to take a short road trip to Plettenburg Bay, which is about three hours west of P.E on the garden route, towards Cape Town.  We rented a car, booked a hostel and we were just getting away for the weekend. About an hour outside P.E, is a town, known as one of the coastal "surf hubs" called Jeffery's Bay.  We stopped here for a late breakfast/early lunch at a little restaurant called Nina's.  They had some excellent coffee, omelets and other breakfast food!   On the way to Plettenburg, there is the world highest bungy jump, and two of my friends, Sarah and Anna did it!  It was very interesting to watch their videos after word, and see their expression before they actually made the jump.  I did not jump, because I am saving my money for cage diving with great white sharks in Gans Bay, by Dyer Island or Seal Island as its sometimes called.  Its one of the best places in the world to see great white sharks, so I am pretty excited for that.

Anyway- we got to our hostel in Plettenburg Bay after bungy jumping, and our hostel had one of the best views in the city of the ocean, and of the rest of the city!  Thus far, the trip was great! We went out for dinner, and then went back to our hostel to enjoy some wine and visit with other vacationers who were also staying at the hostel.  At about 3am, we headed to bed.  At about 3:30am, I woke every one in the flat up, because for the past half hour, I could feel things crawling on me, and biting me, but I just thought I was losing my mind!  Nope! When we woke up, turned the lights on and looked in our beds, there were bed bugs EVERYWHERE.  I think there were more bed bugs than fabric.  HORRIBLE.  So at, 3:30 in the morning, we packed up, got our money back and had no choice other than to drive all the way home to Port Elizabeth.  Driving at night on South African roads, especially as young woman, who are driving a brand new car, is not the best choice, but we felt we really had no other option.  We were all so tired/sad/frustrated/mad that the car ride was actually kind of fun, because every thing was funny, we told interesting stories and got to know each other even better.  When we got home however, we had to sanitize our clothes.  In South Africa, there is no personal laundry mat.  There is no place to take your clothes and wash them yourself, so we resorted to whatever we could find.  The shower, with steaming hot water.  Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING that had been in our suitcases or on our bodies at that hostel went in the shower.  For a long time.
This was one of the most ridiculous weekends I have ever had.  At first, we were all infuriated, because our fun weekend had been ruined, and the hostel owner had let us book knowing there were bed bugs!  At one point, I was literally reduced to tears I was so frustrated/mad/grossed out.  BUT, looking back it was all an adventure, just like everything else here in Africa.  After talking about this experience to other South Africans, it had become apparent that bed bugs are not known here like they are in the U.S.  Several people have even told me that they had no idea what a bed bug was until we showed them a picture on Google.  It just so happened to got unlucky and had to roll with the punches.  I now know to check out my bed before I sleep in it at any hostel here in South Africa! 

No comments:

Post a Comment