Friday, May 10, 2013

The Fruit Man

This is probably going to be the cheesiest post yet- so I apologize- but I was just so struck today by this that I had to share.  Every day, on the way to school, about a mile walk one way, I pass an older man selling fruit.  The first few weeks, I didnt buy anything from him because I didnt think anything of it, but then one morning, on my way home from class in February, I randomly bought an apple from him, and I realized his fruit looked and tasted better than any I found at the grocery store, so I made a habit out of it!  Every day, on the way to class or on the way home, I buy grapes or an apple or a banana and stop to say hello.  Every day, he tells me to have a good day and give me the biggest, toothless smile!
So, today, as I was walking to campus, I didnt eat breakfast at my flat, because I knew I would buy grapes on my way to class.  However, it was raining, and so the man wasnt there this morning.  While in class, and hungry, I hoped the man would be there later.  Sure enough, on my way home-there he was!  He saw me coming, and waved, and when I finally reached him I told him I thought he decided not to come out today, and that I thought I had missed him, which meant I had missed my breakfast!  He laughed and said "No, I could never miss a beautiful day like today!"  Thinking he was joking, since it was currently down pouring  I said "What do you mean?  Its raining!"  He smiled again, while getting my grapes and said: "Yeah, but that dosent mean its not beautiful!"  I must have given him a confused look, because then he explained.  "It might be raining, but that means a lot of people in the townships, including me, will have clean drinking water for a week.  It means your pants and shoes and clothes might be wet from walking in the rain, but that means you have legs to walk with, and warm clothes to wear. So, see, rain can be beautiful!"
Super cheesy, I know, and some may call this man a simpleton, but hes right, and it takes someone like him to make us realize it.  Yes, the rain may suck, but that dosent mean your day is bad or your not extremly fortunate in life.  This story about a man that sells fruit isnt the same experience as traveling to Cape Town, or Victoria Falls, but it is honestly one of my favorite memories I will have from Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment